There are those who dream and stay on dreaming. There are those who take it a step further and begin to take tangible action to see their dream become a reality. For many in Nigeria, – particularly those who don’t inherit large portions of land from their parents or fore-fathers – owning a land is generally considered something more worthwhile than buying a car because of its appreciative nature and many spend time pursuing this dream of owning a piece of land.
Many dream of it. Many save up for it. And this is all good. Now imagine saving for years on end and losing it to a fraudster or losing the land you acquire because you did not get some detail right? That will be really sad. And this is where we come in. We provide you with genuine lands that you can by with peace of mind. Eliminating the fear of losing your money or land or both to fraud.
Nevertheless, there are things you should do before, during and after you buy a land. Especially if the land is in a place like Lagos.
BEFORE YOU BUY A LAND
- Determine your budget. How much are you willing to spend? Often times, the amount you are willing to spend will contribute to where you eventually get the land. It will also determine the size of land you will be able to get. Based on your budget, carry out a comparative market analysis to find out the average cost of land in the locations you have in mind.
- Determine the Location: Not every place is ideal for every person. What kind of area would you like to stay? Which location can fit into your budget? Understand that the more commercially advanced and urban a neighborhood is, the more expensive it is to buy land in such a location. Some locations are fed by good road network. Some have better power supply. These are some of the things to check out in detail. For example, the cost of buying a plot of land in Lekki is relatively higher than when you want to buy a land for sale in Ibeju Lekki. From here, you can either decide to go looking for the available land in the area yourself or you could employ the services of a Real estate agent to help you do the same.
WHEN YOU FIND A SUITABLE LAND
So you’ve contacted the land owner (or one who says he is the seller of the land). What next?
- Check out the place to see if it meets your specification.
- Make a request for the Title of the land.
- Verify the authenticity of the title of the land and availability. Verify from the government agency and the community where the land is situated if possible. Cross check all documents and make sure they are in order before making payment.
- Keep record of all payments in case of litigation.
AFTER YOU GET THE LAND
So now the land is yours, fully paid for and with all the documents in your hand. But then, you don’t have to leave the land unguarded. It will be foolhardy to leave the land bare like that, especially if you do not have a time frame for when you want to start building. Omo Onile, Land grabbers and scam agents are always on the prowl for unguarded lands. What you need to do is to mount a perimeter fence round the land. A perimeter fence lets other prospective buyers know that the land has been taken. It also keeps other land owners around you from trespassing into the boundaries of your land.
In the end, it all rises and falls on your research and work on proper documentation. Also, it is important to note that working with a trusted real estate company like WhiteGate Homes can be a lifesaver as we are aware of what you need and how to get it. Our lawyer will also come in handy and perhaps even our property expert. Whichever the case may be, remember the idea is to look and look well before leaping so that you will not regret your dream of owning a land.
Invest with WhiteGate Homes and you will never have any regret.